Saturday, May 3, 2014

Year in Review: My Reading List for 2013

Posted by Christie for BeautyLifeandLove




Like many people, at the end of each year I can’t help but assess the triumphs and pitfalls of the past 365 days.  Sometimes I rate my year by the opportunities or relationships that came along, other times it’s the number of new clients, published articles, pounds lost, or races run that define my year.  This time, I’m assessing 2013 via the books I read, because I’ve realized the number of books, along with their titles, reveal a telling tale of this little lady's life story.  You may not be able to judge a book by its cover, but you can certainly judge a person by the books that cover their coffee table.

For me, this year was about quality over quantity, and though my reading list was remarkably short, I did manage to find two books that genuinely changed my life.  These books were so good, in fact, that true to my slightly obsessive-compulsive nature, I read both twice AND took copious notes cover to cover.  (Yeah, I know, it’s a little crazy, but I guess I never really got past the whole “book report” thing in grade school.)  Anyhow, I’d like to share the books that defined 2013 for me by giving me a greater understanding of who I am and what I should be doing.  I believe only in answering these questions of "who?" and "what?" can we truly discover our “why”--or in other words, the purpose to our lives.  As I said on Bravo this season (and if you didn't catch the clip on TV, I'll say it again):  "Readers are Leaders!"   

List-Topper #1 - Susan Cain’s Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking 

Life-Changer #2:  48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller

The Complete List

Finally, without further ado, here is the complete (albeit short) list of books I read this year.  Please bear in mind it doesn't include the textbooks I read cover to cover.  (Haven’t done that since college!)

Extraordinary, Ordinary People by Condoleezza Rice
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
The Beauty Bias: The Injustice of Appearance in Life and Law by Deborah Rhode (warning: this book reads like a legal text)
 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller
To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others by Daniel Pink
Love Wins:  A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived by Rob Bell (okay, I admit this book was so boring I didn’t finish it—but it’s a great remedy for insomnia!)
Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate by Patti Stanger
How:  Why How We Do Anything Means Everything by Dov Seidman
Getting to Yes:  Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher, William L. Ury and Bruce Patton (I read this book 4 times prior to this year, but what can I say? It’s a staple.)
Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands:  The Bestselling Guide to Doing Business in More than 60 Countries by Terri Morrison

Book Reviews, Notes, Blogs, and much, much more at BeautyLifeandLove.com


No comments:

Post a Comment